Rear transition pan metal work, part 5 - priming the rear floor
There was a lot of surface rust down there, and I had to find out if there was any metal cancer hiding under all that. I was hoping to find clean metal under the grime, dirt, and rust, and for the most part, that's all I found.
>> Finished primed surfaces are only as good as the prep work that goes into them. Take the time needed to do the cleaning right, or you may end up doing it again.<<
Inside the car, I used SPI Red Oxide primer on the floor patching work. While the Red Oxide does look similar to the original primer I've found around the car, I tried a test patch and I don't like the color as much as I thought I would - it's too bright for me. So I ordered some SPI Black to do the bottom of the car. For the record, a car like mine built at the San Jose plant in 1967 would have most likely had the Red Oxide color. Other plants may have had a dark grey 'slop' color, where the line workers at Ford would have mixed up leftover paint and used it as primer. I know black isn't factory correct for this car, but I don't care - my car, my rules.
The SPI epoxy is good about not having too much overspray, but I work in pretty cramped quarters, so masking is necessary. Also, I needed a gun that would spray overhead. I found one at Lowes Automotive that worked great for like $20 on the clearance shelf. The Vapor gun is the blue one on the left, and the Lowes gun is the one on the right.
The cup is side-mounted and can be rotated to allow spraying pretty much straight up. While the pattern isn't quite as nice as the Vapor gun I already had, it did the job just fine. [04/02/2016 edit: looks like this gun may be discontinued as a standalone item at Lowes, so pick one up now while you can.] I used about 20 ounces of mixed primer to do two coats over this section.
(all the blue is from the deep blue New Mexico sky reflected in the fresh primer.)
I know no one else will really ever see this, and once the rear axle goes back in, even less of all this will be visible. But I'm glad I got this wrapped up and it's nice to know there isn't a bunch of rust hiding under here.